Home       About Me       Review Archive

Monday, April 4, 2016

Muggle Monday: Chamber of Secrets Illustrated Edition

It's time for Muggle Monday, in which I highlight a significant piece of news from the Harry Potter franchise. This is somewhat inspired by the Mundane Monday posts by The Mundie Moms.

But let's be real as to why I made up this feature: I just want the opportunity to post something about Harry Potter.


This past week, the artwork for the cover of the illustrated edition of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets was revealed:


Gorgeous, no?? This illustrated edition of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets will feature 115 new colour images by A Monster Calls artist Jim Kay, retail for about $40, and will be available October 4, 2016.

Of course the illustrated edition of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone was released last year to positive acclaim by fans. Sadly though, I have yet to experience the book for myself! While I had initially planned to borrow the illustrated edition from my library at some point in lieu of shelling out the hefty amount of money to purchase the book, all the positive buzz for it made me convinced that I should be buying a copy for myself - I need to save up for it though.


Here's a little taste of what we have to look forward to in the upcoming illustrated edition of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (click to embiggen):

Portrait of Rubeus Hagrid and Hogwarts
Illustrations of a gnome, the Burrow, and mandrakes
Illustrated feature of the Phoenix

I'm curious if anyone reading this has experienced the illustrated edition of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone yet - what did you think? And do you plan on purchasing this illustrated edition of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets?

24 comments :

  1. Like you, I didn't want to own these at first^^ since I want to get another boxed set hardcover edition than the one I own. But the more I see the gorgeous illustrations, the MORE I WANT these! I mean, LOOK AT THAT PHOENIX ♥♥♥ I'll have to save up as well and well, I might just wait till they all come out and hope for a pretty boxed set. In any case, these a must-have addition to my collection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I do love boxed sets!! But I'm not sure I can be patient enough for that considering they will need at least another 6 years to publish the remaining books.

      Delete
  2. I purchased this one for my high school and it circulated like crazy when it came out. After a few weeks, it hasn't been checked out yet. I didn't get to relive the HP reading experience, but I did look at the illustrations and they are absolutely gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so gorgeous! And the more I think of it, I just really want my own copy to cherish.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful cover and other illustrations! I have the first one, but I still need to read it. It's very lovely though. I will cherish it forever. haha Okay, corny, yes, but SO TRUE!

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, it doesn't sound corny to my biased ears!

      Delete
  4. It looks so pretty!!!
    But as I already have two copies of each book (one which is pretty tattered) I thought I would just save for the play.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah... I assume your two copies of each book come in English and Spanish? I only have the one set and I don't plan on ever replacing them. I just hope I can save my pennies for both!

      Delete
  5. Oh yes. Beyond excited for this one...to add to my copy of the first book, illustrated edition. ^-^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, you have the first book!! I'm envious :)

      Delete
  6. Gorgeous post Aylee :D Thank you for sharing about the cover. I think it looks awesome :) I own the first one, but haven't truly looking in it, lol.. but it is gorgeous :) Hope you will get to buy it one day. <3 Happy reading sweet girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH MY GOSHHH! I didn't realise it was the Monster Calls artist, but that makes perfect sense!

    I have PS but I've actually not *read* it yet. I've had a flick through, but I'm saving it for when I actually next reread the series and then I'll read it "properly". I kinda want to save it for then. It's making it even more of a struggle than usual not to read them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean - I would want to save the book for a time when I can actually read it thoroughly, not just flip through looking at the pictures!

      Delete
  8. OCTOBER!!! That's so far away! I just (like 5 minutes ago) opened a birthday gift that was the illustrated Harry Potter. It's beautiful and you absolutely must own it. I think I am going to need to own the whole set (assuming the plan is to produce the whole series). It'll be an amazing keep sake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome, what a great birthday gift! I believe the plan is to release a new one every year, though I have to imagine that Jim Kay will need longer to illustrate the thicker volumes.

      Delete
  9. I have the first one and it's wonderful! The illustrations are so beautiful and I plan on getting them each year when the new one comes out. I like that they're coming out with one a year. I wouldn't be able to break the bank if they all came out in a boxed set. I think it's fun seeing the books imagined in another way and as the series gets more complex as it goes, it will be even more exciting to see what illustrations the later books include. Also, this is a GREAT way to introduce younger readers to Harry Potter. My sister is nine and not a huge reader, but this gave her the push she needed to start reading the series. I don't think she cares if she reads it out of the non-illustrated one now, but it was the perfect introduction. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah that's a good point about getting them as a boxed set - presumably they would be quite a few hundred dollars then so I'd be better off saving for them once a year as they are released! And that is such a lovely anecdote about your sister :D Thank you for sharing, Kailee!

      Delete
  10. I am absolutely in love with my illustrated edition and I like to browse through it every now and then, still captured by the gorgeous illustrations that bring back everything I love about the HP world. I'm definitely going to purchase this one! I like the cover, but the first one is prettier; I think it's because I'm not such a fan of the color of the title.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I remember you've posted about it on IG and it is just so gorgeous!! Hopefully I can get my hands on it soon...

      Delete
  11. ALL THIS BEAUTY IS KILLING ME!!! I need this in my life!!!

    Sarika @ The Readdicts

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love, love, love this!!!! I definitely saw this when they were released, but seeing them again now reminds me that I need to add this book to my wishlist. ;D haha

    Thanks for sharing, Eilidh! It really is so gorgeous!! I can't wait to see it in person!

    ReplyDelete