Home       About Me       Review Archive

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Review: Wicked Lovely (Wicked Lovely #1) by Melissa Marr

Publisher: HarperTeen
Published: June 12, 2007
Pages: 328
Source: Library
Rating: 4 Stars - I Loved It!
DescriptionAll teenagers have problems, but few of them can match those of Aislinn, who has the power to see faeries. Quite understandably, she wishes that she could share her friends' obliviousness and tries hard to avoid these invisible intruders. But one faery in particular refuses to leave her alone. Keenan the Summer King is convinced beyond all reasoning that Aislinn is the queen he has been seeking for nine centuries. What's a 21st-century girl to do when she's stalked by a suitor nobody else can see?


In short: I loved Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr but hated Keenan, the Summer King.

Well, this was a fun read. This was the first faery book I'd ever read so I didn't really know what to expect. In Wicked Lovely, the Winter Queen has bound the Summer King's powers, freezing the earth steadily for nine centuries. The only way for the Summer King can overcome the Winter Queen's powers is to find his Summer Queen. Okay, so not realistic at all. But still an interesting concept.

It's been awhile since I've read a book told in third person. I've almost forgotten how much I love being able to switch character perspectives when reading and with Wicked Lovely, you get to view the story through the eyes of three different characters. And what you see are utterly fascinating and bizarre creatures. Each faery had its own unique description and look, and all of them were mighty odd. Metallic hair, blue lips, lion's manes, vines for veins. Very creative.

I liked Aislinn; she was a strong protagonist. Not perfect, but not totally helpless. Her best friend and love interest Seth was totally loveable and just as a best friend should be: very supportive of Aislinn even when she tells him her crazy secret that faeries are stalking her.

Aislinn's other potential love interest is of course Keenan, the Summer King. I hope I'm not alone in saying that I completely loathed Keenan. I do not see the appeal. Everything about him seemed fake. His feelings toward Aislinn seemed fake and in return, Aislinn's feelings toward him were only a product of faery magic. Keenan only needed someone to become his Queen so that he could gain back his powers.

I wasn't fond of the ending. It seemed way too rushed and abrupt. But at least there was no cliffhanger! And I would have liked the faery mythology to be more fleshed out, but in this case I assume we'll learn more over the course of the next few books in the series. I have tons that needs to be answered.

Overall, Wicked Lovely was an entertaining read. I was able to overlook certain flaws because I was enjoying myself reading it. Next up to read is Ink Exchange, which from what I understand, isn't really a sequel so much as like a book #1.5 between Wicked Lovely and Fragile Eternity with a new set of characters.


Other Reviews:
Unputdownable Books
Musings of a Reader Happy
Novels of the Run


Stalk the Author (not for serious):
Website
Blog
Goodreads
Twitter
Fansite


And to the person who checked this library book out before me and tore out 15 pages near the end of the book: Screw you. Seriously, who does that? So inconsiderate. No respect whatsoever.


*Read as part of the YA Series Challenge
*Qualifies for the Into the Old World Reading Challenge
*The Letter W in the A-Z Reading Challenge

27 comments :

  1. You've never read a faery book before?!?
    :O!
    You've been missing out lady!
    ;)
    I am not going to lie, I didn't like how "Ink Exchange" didn't follow Aislinn and Seth, but "Fragile Eternity" makes up for it... And what a booger tearing out 15 pages! Like you said, who does that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice review Aylee, I'm surprised you haven't read any books about the Fey before! I really liked Seth in this one, he was just so understated and therefore far more interesting to me than Keenan:) I can't believe someone tore out pages from that book, that's just ridiculous. I haven't read the other books in this series yet because I got distracted with other books, but I do want to continue with them. Looking forward to seeing what you think of the next ones!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm surprised I haven't read about the fey either! I don't know how that happened.
    @Avery: yeah, I kind of wanted to continue with Aislinn's story right away but I feel like I need to read Ink Exchange first. And jerkwads do that, that's who.
    @Jenny: yes, understated, that's a good way of putting it. I'm not going to read another book until I finish with this series. I can't wait to see how it all wraps up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I listened to Wicked Lovely on audiobook ages ago. I haven't read the other two yet but I do have them. I want to read Wicked Lovely again first. Somehow listening to it on audio, it doesn't stick in my mind as well as reading the paper book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so excited to read this series.

    Ugh, and I hate people who disrespect library books. Or any book that isn't theirs, really.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe someone would tear out the pages of a library book since it's not their book to begin with!

    Anyhow, I read this one and book 3, and skipped 2 & 4 since I couldn't get into them. So, I'm waiting to see what you think of Ink Exchange and maybe I'll give it another chance.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, this has been on my TBR ever since author Jeaniene Frost said it was one of her top 10 best books.

    I haven't read it yet, but I agree with you. I think since there are so many variations of Fae mythology, the one the author chose to develop for their novel should be fleshed out, but since it is a lengthy series, I expect more will be revealed later on.

    Glad to know there is no evil cliffy. Thanks for the great review Aylee.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww, what do ya mean, I can't stalk her? ;]

    This book looks good... It's been on my to-read list for a while now

    ReplyDelete
  9. I will have to add this to my list. I can not believe someone did that!! I would be livid. :0#

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome review. I have this one sitting at home waiting to be read, but as always I have so many other books. i don't know where to start.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Slowest Bookworm: It's the same thing with me: I find words stick in my head better when I can see them rather than hear them.
    @Logan: I guess I was assuming that anyone who goes to the library would be a lover of books and wouldn't even think about disrespecting a book like that. I was wrong.
    @A Canadian Girl: yeah, it's taking me a while to get into Ink Exchange (but to be fair I'm only 25 pages into it). I really feel like I have to read it though before I move on for some reason.
    @Missie: Because this was my first foray into fey mythology, I was really looking forward to learning more about the basics because I really don't know a lot. I expect I'll learn more in later books.
    @Nora: I mean, you can stalk her if you want, I guess. I'm not going to stop you! lol.
    @Tracy: Livid! I was. It ruined my day because there was a fricken blizzard outside and I couldn't leave the house for a day to get a new book.
    @AngelicNytmare: Me too. So many books, so little time. Never know which to read first. Though in this case, I knew I wanted to read this series because I happen to be in possession of a Darkest Mercy ARC.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't believe this is your first Faery book but then you chose a great one, the series keeps getting better and it's one of my favorites. I hope you enjoy the rest of them. =D Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, great! I'm glad to hear the series gets better and better! Looking forward to finishing this series :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad you liked it! And don't worry - I know what you mean about Keenan, but he gets a bit better in the later books. :]

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really need to get off my butt and start reading this series lol. *edit* just placed a hold with my library ;D
    And what kind of freak abuses library books?!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am pretty new to fey books too. Iron King was my first faery book - last year.
    I like Aislinn - or at least I felt sorry for him.
    I thought this was a really fun book. A little more edgy than most YA.

    ReplyDelete
  17. @Alissa: Okay, good to know Keenan gets better!
    @Laura: Who knows what was going through their head when they did that to this poor defenseless book :) Hope you enjoy it!
    @Alison: Yes, I've noticed it does seem a bit more edgy than what I expect from YA. Ink Exchange, which I'm reading now, is even moreso.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am a huge fan of books about faeries! Thanks for the fantastic review!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are so NOT the only person who didn't like Keenan. I agree with you completely. He was fake and annoying. I felt really bad for Donia.

    I didn't love this book, though I did like it, but I usually don't like fairy books as much. I did like The Iron King though, so if you're interested in more fairy books I recommend that one.

    And that person who tore out those pages? What the hell is wrong with them?!?!!? If I ever own my own library I'm retaining tracking dogs who can hunt down those people and, I don't know, I'll glare at them in a really mean way. How did you end up reading those last pages?

    ReplyDelete
  20. That's cool that you got the ARC of the newest book. I think my first fae book was Wings by Aprilynne Pike so I'm interested in seeing the differences in the mythology the authors create.

    ReplyDelete
  21. @Reading Lassie: Thanks!
    @Small Review: Okay, good, glad I'm not alone. I'm hoping I'll come to like him more in later books.
    I definitely plan on reading the Iron Fey series sometime.
    Glare at them, haha! Well, hopefully the library will ban the person or make them pay for the book. I had to venture out of my house in a blizzard with dangerous roads to the library to get another copy. Very inconvenient.

    ReplyDelete
  22. @Angelic Nytmare: Yes, I want to read the Iron Fey series and Holly Black's fey series, as well. I think it would be interesting to compare.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This sounds great! A friend recced this ages ago, but I've always had such a weird aversion to faeries...until The Iron Fey changed my mind. I now find myself completely intrigued by their history and your review is definitely giving me that push to finally check this one out. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I agree - I liked the book, did not like Keenan!

    I look forward to reading your thoughts on the rest of the books, so I know if I should pick them up. :D

    ReplyDelete
  25. @Stephanie: Yeah, I think I was turned off by the idea of a fey book at first, just didn't sound like something I would be interested in. But I'm definitely interested now! I can't wait to read the Iron Fey series!
    @Jessica: I'm anxious to find out if I'll like the sequels more or not... I've heard differing opinions.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I haven't read this series, yet. The covers are extremely lovely. I wasn't into faeries until reading The Iron Fey series. I think you'd really enjoy The Iron King. It's incredible and the descriptions are outstanding! It's the first faerie book I read and turned me on to the genre. Does this blend a lot of A Midsummer Night's Dream into it? The Iron Fey does, so does Glimmerglass and I've read a snippet of Wondrous Strange -- which has the Shakespeare angle. I like your honesty about some of the characters and the ending. I'm looking forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oi, I would have no idea if it blends A Midsummer Night's Dream into it! The only Shakespeare I've read are the ones that I was forced to read in school. I think I would really love The Iron Fey series, too, from what I've heard of it.

    ReplyDelete